Saturn Outlook Forum banner

Ugh. Gas Mileage Pains...

12K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  09XRFWDOWNER 
#1 ·
I've been looking for about six mos now for an Outlook. I've weighed my options of new vs used and looked nation wide. I found some that were eventually sold out from under me; I found others that I myself pulled out of and decided not to buy.

After finding a few pretty good deals all across the country, I finally found exactly what I was looking for - only 90 miles away. Perfect. Exterior, interior, quad seats, DVD, 19" wheels - all the bells and whistles I was looking for and then some.

I've rented these and have driven out of state many times. I was impressed with the MPG just as much as the style and room. Wow - the room. Awesome. Now that we our third child, it was time to buy.

I've driven this to work (18 miles one way) for a few weeks, and I've driven it out of state. I can't tell you how disappointed I am in the MPG for city and highway:

Averages:

City: 15.8
Highway: 19.7

I know the sticker reads 18 city/26 highway, which is what the EPA listed this in 2007. I know the EPA now lists highway at 24. But 19.7?!? 15.8?!? I saw one post where a post stated they had sub-14. They’d probably be ecstatic with mine – I, however, am not.

Is this common? It’s ridiculous that I’m over six MPG lower than advertised.

I took it into the Saturn shop today, and they checked the (correct me if I’m wrong) ECM transmission controller. They said it was recalled and replaced by the original owner, but they went ahead and reprogrammed it again. They stated all tire pressures, air filters, etc. were fine, and they advised me to monitor it for a few tanks.

I do love this vehicle, but it seems it was grossly misadvertised. Are there other solutions to rectify this? Are there any recourses against…here it comes…GM? Saturn? Is there anything Penske is doing about it?

Thanks in advance.

Frustrated

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 ·
Did some more testing. Took a three hour trip out of town a 75 MPH and came right back (yes, right back) at the same speeds. Total time on road was six hours. The XR FWD (I don't think I mentioned that it was a FWD) got 17.5 MPG. Oddly enough, I filled up at a half a tank with in town driving, and it was 21.5 MPG.

I can't state how much I like this vehicle. If I had purchased brand new, however, I might have returned it as it appears almost as if it's false advertisement. 18/26 (or 18/24 for today's standards) doesn't compare at all to 16/19, which is what I'm getting.

Thanks for the replies. I realize the harder I drive it (I do ease into it), the faster it goes (yes, on the highway I run about 70-75), and the more AC I use (always on, btw) the more it's going to hurt the MPG. This just seems excessive.

Also, I got the EP (or EPM?) transmission controller reprogrammed and the tire pressure checked. I've also had the air filter checked. All checks out. My friend said he thought the original owner probably didn't "break" it in correctly. I haven't heard of that before, but that might have something to do with it.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
I guess that's the craziest part - I live in the f-l-a-t-t-e-s-t part of the US. No trees, no mountians, no hills, no lakes. When I get on the highway for road trips, it's all one way until I get there unless I have to fill up for gas.

I'll continue to monitor it as the seasons cool to see how the AC affects it. I noticed on a full tank of gas that it reads 389 Miles of expected mileage from the full tank. That's a number I would've expected to read in the 400s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.