Saturn Outlook Forum banner

Ugh. Gas Mileage Pains...

12K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  09XRFWDOWNER 
I know this may sound dumb, but are you resetting the DIC after each fill up?

I have found that driving 60 to 65 gives me better MPG than 70 to 75 and even 50 to 55. The engine seems to be designed for 65. Of course using the AC, how hard you accelerate, is the tranny goinging into sixth, all play a major factor in the MPG. I have gotten as high as 27 on the highway but usually I am around 23. In the city I am around 13 to 14 as there is not much freeway traffic here, mostly stop and go. I have found that the main problem with my MPG is me and my driving habits. My wifes Aura that has the same engine and tranny gets better mileage than me because of her better driving habits, unless of course she is late for work.

The manual shift on these Lambdas is more for keeping your tranny from going into a higher gear (set it to 5 and it wont go into 6th as an example). I use it for down shifting to slow down on the highways instead of using the brakes as much. With time the it wont shift down as much once the vehicle gets broken in, however both my now gone Outlook and my current Acadia have always shifted to 5 in a heart beat. 6 is mainly for cruising. When it gets to 5 it usaully takes a little longer to shift down to 4th.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.