Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Tried to search where this might have been posted in the past on this site so here it is as a new topic of interest. My intention once reaching the 5,000 mile mark on my XR was to switch from what the dealer has been using, which according to Blackstone laboratories, is performing well, to Mobil 1 Synthetic.

So, calling this overkill, I had the dealer change the factory fill @ 672 miles.

The dealership uses recycled oil from Lyden Oil Company. Specifically, Lyden Proguard Eco 5W30. Here's a link to this specific product:

http://www.lydenoil.com/mainpages/productinfosheets/ProGuard ECO Motor Oils.pdf

I then put 1,756 miles on this oil change and had it analyzed by Blackstone Laboratories.

The reason for the analysis was I had done some reading on the BobTheOilGuy.com web site and read of some issues on the oil analyzed using this direct injection, variable valve timing V6. Seems it has a tendency to beat up the oil.

Just received my 2nd oil analysis, again with the dealership fill using the Lyden recycled oil. The comments by the lab indicate I probably could have gone further on this oil (had 2,603 miles on this change) but not wanting to take any chances I decided to follow through with my intention to switch from the dino oil to Mobil 1 Synthetic.

So, now with 5,031 miles on her, I had Mobil 1 and a Baldwin oil filter installed. I noted at the time of this oil change my DIC said the oil was at 77% life. My goal is to change her at 5,000 mile intervals and seeing where the DIC is at those times. I also plan on having the Mobil 1 analyzed just to see if this Viscosity # improves.

Even though the lab said the wear #s continue to look good and well within the normal range, their comments on both of these analysis about the viscosity of the oil kinda' reinforced my decision to switch to a synthetic and see if this feature improves. We'll see.

Anyhoo, here's both analysis (with the latest in the 1st column on the left. You'll note there is no info on Flashpoint at the bottom for the first analysis 'cause I didn't send them enough of a sample.

Hope my endeavors gives you all some good info.

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
thanks.
Im in the process of letting my oil run a little longer on my 2010 Traverse.
I will get it analyzed. v(currently at 6000 on ODO- and about 4500 on this oil)
I want to get a good feel for the OLM on the traverse...
On my 2003 Trailblazer-- I trusted that OLM- so much so- I let the oil go 10,500 to 11,500 miles between oil changes using the OLM.
I now have 152,000 miles on my Trailblazer.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I just sent away to Blackstone for my UOA kit. I'm curious.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rbarrios,

Outstanding oil life on that Trailblazer! Just curious what type of oil and filter are you using on that one? Have you ever had the oil analyzed after 10,000 miles of use? That would be an interesting read!

6Sixathome, should give you some good insight on what your OLM is saying against what the lab sees.

Jim
In God We Trust!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Do they e-mail you a copy of the UOA or send a hard copy or both?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
6Sixathome,

Your initial analysis will come in the mail but they also send that first analysis via e-mail as well. Then, it's just e-mail. This being my 2nd with the Saturn, I just received the e-mail report yesterday (sent my oil in for analysis last Friday...quick turn around!).

Jim
In God We Trust!

·
Registered
754 Posts
COCOATAN09XR said:
rbarrios,

Outstanding oil life on that Trailblazer! Just curious what type of oil and filter are you using on that one? Have you ever had the oil analyzed after 10,000 miles of use? That would be an interesting read!

6Sixathome, should give you some good insight on what your OLM is saying against what the lab sees.

Jim
In God We Trust!
I use Valvoline 5w-30. Regular Dino oil. Im using AC Delco oil Filter.
Let me look for my oil analysis...
I know I posted the one soon after 100,000. and one at 146,000...

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
COCOATAN09XR said:
6Sixathome,

Your initial analysis will come in the mail but they also send that first analysis via e-mail as well. Then, it's just e-mail. This being my 2nd with the Saturn, I just received the e-mail report yesterday (sent my oil in for analysis last Friday...quick turn around!).

Jim
In God We Trust!
Jim is it difficult to post your UOA on the forums for others to see? Will Blackstone tell you what they think about your oil like different things to try? I'ts all new to me.

Thanks,
6Six

·
Registered
754 Posts
ok, I went and got my analysis from their webpage (under my acct).
they were done at 25 miles shy of 104,000 ( I wanted to see how the engine was doing soon after 100,000).
Oil was in for 10,554 miles. I remember that for this oil change- the change oil light HAD NOT come on. (my trailblazer has the light- but didnt show % life left). I changed oil and DID not reset the OLM. sent in oil analysis. Got back oil analysis--- note what they said- that the oil could have gone a bit further--- and guess what--- About 300 or 400 miles later- my change oil light came on (so the OLM and the analysis were right on the money).

When I was getting ready to buy my 2010 Traverse- I decided to run an analysis on the oil- if it came back bad-- Id trade in or sell the Trailblazer... if it came back good- Id keep it... oil had 11,039 miles. The analysis was good- so I kept the trailblazer. (it now has 152,000- and just recently passed the California Smog check- with flying colors--- you know here in CA- they put the vehicle on rollers and run it at certain speeds to simulate actual driving)....
By the way- when I picked up my 2010- a few blocks from the dealer- the odometer hit 150,000. ( past several vehicles-Ive bought new cars only after I pass 150K)
Note that it says Silicon was a bit high---- it was not antifreeze- as this engine has never used up antifreeze...
I found the problem---- turns out- when I changed the air filter- one of the hoses- was not seated correctly-- and was sucking in unfiltered air....
When I went to do something on the engine- I leaned up agaisnt the filter assembly and heard a sound---this was the parts actually coming toghether and sealing properly.....
(now I double check my reinstalls on the air filter assemblies)....

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
6Sixathome said:
Jim is it difficult to post your UOA on the forums for others to see? Will Blackstone tell you what they think about your oil like different things to try? I'ts all new to me.

Thanks,
6Six
look at my oil analysis-- they do tell you what they think....
double click on file name or on image-- you can then view larger- and zoom in if you cant read the notes...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
6Sixathome,

The lab does not come out and state one oil is better than another; but, they do give you some good commentary on what you are using. I'm thinking by my posting the UOA's here others may do also. A possible concensus on what works and what doesn't would, hopefully, result.

rhbarrios,

So much for synthetic oil. Obviously, that Trailblazer is a keeper, dontcha' think? I notice in the more recent analysis, they commented you had switched oil. Maybe I missed what you said besides the disconnected air filter housing. What brand oil did you switch to for the more recent analysis? What oil/filter are you running in the Traverse?

Jim
In God We Trust!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
OK by looking at Jim's and Bob's UOA's I'm starting to see how this works. Now I'm really curios to see how mine will do with Mobil1 5W-30 and the M113 filter.

·
Registered
754 Posts
COCOATAN09XR said:
rhbarrios,

So much for synthetic oil. Obviously, that Trailblazer is a keeper, dontcha' think? I notice in the more recent analysis, they commented you had switched oil. Maybe I missed what you said besides the disconnected air filter housing. What brand oil did you switch to for the more recent analysis? What oil/filter are you running in the Traverse?
probably Quaker State 5w-30 regular dino. as Ive only bought those 2 for a while now.....

In the Traverse- im using the recommended AC DELCO filter PF-48- -- and running regular dino oil- My receipt shows I bought Valvoline.
(im keeping my receipts for oil and filters bought).

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
rbarrios said:
probably Quaker State 5w-30 regular dino. as Ive only bought those 2 for a while now.....

In the Traverse- im using the recommended AC DELCO filter PF-48- -- and running regular dino oil- My receipt shows I bought Valvoline.
(im keeping my receipts for oil and filters bought).
Bob, I agree that you should keep your reciepts but if it came down to it there is no way we could prove that we put that oil and filter into and on our vehicles, without a service invoice and our VIN# on the reciept, there is just no actual proof. Maybe you know a different angle?

·
Registered
754 Posts
youre right- but at least theres some sort of paper trail that items were purchased (that fit the vehicle). Will it work in court? who knows...but at least theres some proof. Hope I never have to resort to such a battle.

I currently have 6023 miles on my 2010 Traverse. I changed the factory oil at 1657 miles. So this oil has 4366 miles on it- and the DIC is showing 58% oil life left.

Im wondering when I should change this fill.... 50% oil life left... or 5000, 6000 miles?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
rbarrios said:
youre right- but at least theres some sort of paper trail that items were purchased (that fit the vehicle). Will it work in court? who knows...but at least theres some proof. Hope I never have to resort to such a battle.

I currently have 6023 miles on my 2010 Traverse. I changed the factory oil at 1657 miles. So this oil has 4366 miles on it- and the DIC is showing 58% oil life left.

Im wondering when I should change this fill.... 50% oil life left... or 5000, 6000 miles?
I would say change it at 5K, seeing that you live in or around L.A. I can imagine that alone is tough on an engine.

·
Registered
754 Posts
interesting point...considering others are reporting the DI engine beats up oil

my trailblazer was used in the same conditions (rush hr morning and evenings)-- and I was surprissed at those nice oil analysis results....

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
If those 4.2's are anything like the 4.3's they are easy on the oil :thumb:.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rbarrios,

Like 6Sixathome, I would do the first change @ the 5,000 mile mark. Your analysis I would think would mirror the UOA I just posted. I AM curious to see if your viscosity #s are any different then mine were (which were on the slightly lower side). It would be a sort of benchmark for your vehicle to decide whether you could:

1. Continue with the same dino oil, extending your change to 7,000 or more miles

2. Switch to another dino oil, changing at the same 5,000 mile interval.

3. Switch to a synthetic like Mobil 1, again changing at the same 5,000 mile interval.

Doing the above would give you some confidence you are on the right path to extended oil life...and more importantly NOT beating up your DI engine.

I add it goes without saying to note what your oil life monitor says at the time of your changes. The goal is to build confidence in the monitoring sensor which should truly reflect what the oil analysis from the lab says. My last change, although the oil was in the motor for only 2,600 miles, showed the oil monitor stating I had 77% of oil life and the oil anlaysis commentary supported that.

Jim
In God We Trust!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Very good points Jim...
5000 it is!

1 - 20 of 162 Posts