Saturn Outlook Forum banner

21 - 40 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I was a Wally World today and almost bought PP for $1.00 more than M1. I shall see what my UOA says after this run on M1 (I've got 1,400 miles to go before the oil change which will bring me to 5K on this oil).

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
What do you guys think of the AMSOIL claim to 25K between changes? What about Royal Purple?

·
Registered
754 Posts
HMMMMMMM.
Id have to see oil analysis.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
My thoughts exactually. 25K is alot of miles for oil.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have seen UOAs on Amsoil in large capacity diesel engines that have added filtration units. With these, they change the filter every 5-10K, but the filters hold a few quarts of oil, freshening up some of the additives.

I have also seen a sludged up diesel that had Amsoil in it. The >$10K engine was not repaired under warranty because the manufacturer (F) length of oil change was exceeded. The owner was trying to get Amsoil to pay. He dropped off that board when he wasn't getting satisfation from people telling him what he didn't want to hear, that F shouldn't pay for his costly repair.

Morale of this post, follow GMs change recomendations or prepare to litigate if you have a problem. At a minimum, UOAs would be needed so is the cost really any cheaper than a good synthetic?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I' m still waiting on the test kit from Blackstone. I ordered one but it never came ( after 3 weeks) so I called the other day and ordered another one. I wonder if it got held up with USPS because of it's shape? Has anyone else had trouble getting a test kit when ordered?

·
Registered
252 Posts
6Sixathome said:
I' m still waiting on the test kit from Blackstone. I ordered one but it never came ( after 3 weeks) so I called the other day and ordered another one. I wonder if it got held up with USPS because of it's shape? Has anyone else had trouble getting a test kit when ordered?
Mine came pretty quickly. After I did a few UOAs and requesting more kits a 3rd time, they sent me a box with like 10 of them....good for a while.

·
Registered
754 Posts
ordered mine-- they came pretty quickly.
Received 4 in my box... slips inside each container already had my personnal info...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Although you can mail these samples via the self addressed black bottle that is part of the sample kit it has been my experience that the oil samples get to BLACKSTONE more quickly if you mail them in a (very) small box or a packing 'envelope'. I think that the black cylindrical bottles too often attract the attention of postal inspection. :-\

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
copperbeech said:
Although you can mail these samples via the self addressed black bottle that is part of the sample kit it has been my experience that the oil samples get to BLACKSTONE more quickly if you mail them in a (very) small box or a packing 'envelope'. I think that the black cylindrical bottles too often attract the attention of postal inspection. :-\
That's what I'm going to do. When they come from Blackstone what kind of pkg do they come in? Could the USPS think that it is a hazard?

·
Registered
754 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
in the pic below-- (click to enlarge)...

you can see the 4 containers they sent..
within each container is
another smaller clear container
a ziplock stype bag
an absorbtion cloth in case oil spills.
and the info slip.

you fill up the clear container- place the container and the absorption cloth INSIDE the ziplock bag- insert your slip with info into the black acontainer along with- and then place the ziplocked bag into the black container- and mail off...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Looks and sounds simple enough :thumb:.

·
Registered
754 Posts
very interesting about the iron levels. and the - 4K and 43% Oil life left.

As a Comparison look at my oil analysis on my 2010 Traverse.
Every morning (5 days a week) I do remote starts (im in Los Angeles- morning temps are about 40-50 degrees.
My oil is regular dino oil. Miles on engine are about 6800 at time of oil change. OLM was at 50% and oil had 5154 miles on it.

http://www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php?topic=863.0

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
That's BigTallVandy, he's a member here and on the ACADIA forum. I did'nt like the iron count, as I'm compairing from ones I've seen on the forums. It's gotta be from the factory fill, maybe it should have been done at 2K or sooner, (but everyone does it different), that's when I did it, my wifes uncle did'nt change the FF until he had about 9K on his 08 ENCLAVE, way, way too long. My 1st UOA will be at 16K, that will give me 5K on the current oil/filter. 500miles to go and I just about can't wait :hyper:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes, it's my post on BITOG. Boy, you guys are junkies (like me)!

I found my maintenance log and effectively my OCI logs goes as follows:
Aug-09 6207KM (Odometer) drained FF oil and had Saturn dealer do it (so was bulk dino oil refill)
Dec-09 13,446KM (Odometer) drained SF oil at local Q-L shop, had Mobil-1 synthetic refill.
Mar-10 19,839KM (Odometer) drained and sampled oil at local A-L shop, had Mobil-1 synthetic refill.

That's pretty much avg 6200~6400KM (or some 4000 Miles) per OCI.

Before anyone gets bent over the Iron reading, I am waiting on the second fill (of Mar-10) to be changed out and I'll have that tested as it will have far less possibility of cross-contamination from prior dino-fill and will not have any excess idling (thus ruling that out of the fuel dilution equation).

I've actually learned this morning that the OLM was in fact 57% not the 43% I had posted on BITOG. I will correct that this morning. I was going off memory that it was 43%, but my maintenance log that I looked at this morning is accurate as I note that stuff down immediately while the Q-L shop is doing the work.

Yes, high iron. I am concerned about that. Could be wear (maybe stretched timing chain?)... could be lab error... could be something else. Who knows! Point is I need to do more UOA before we can draw conclusions.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Hi All,

Thought I'd update this topic with my latest UOA. Vehicle now has 10,500 miles on her.

The initial, and 2nd oil change were with re-refined oil from Lyden through the dealership. This last one was with synthetic Mobil 1, also through the dealership (I provided the oil)

Oil filters: 1st change ACPF48
2nd change Baldwin B160
3rd change ACPF48

Felt I did not want to be in the middle in a pissing contest with GM should this motor go south so switched back to the ACPF48 filter.

Trying to get warm and fuzzy with the OLM on this vehicle. The first oil change was 87%, the 2nd was 77% and the most recent was 62%.

I followed through with my plan to change to synthetic Mobil 1 @ the first 5,000 mile odometer mark. Ran this synthetic oil for 5,067 miles. Unlike the first 5,000 miles where the % of city vs. highway was 60% or more city and expressway for the balance, this recent 5,000 miles reflects 3,600 miles in interstate driving (60-75 mph)...tripping from Michigan to Florida and surrounding area. I'm thinking the type of driving on this last change is the reason for what I believe is the higher OLM # (62%).

Although Blackstone Laboratory is encouraging me to extend the oil changes to 7,000-8,000 mile intervals, I'm leaning to stay with the 5,000 mile interval. Plan on testing this oil again at the 15,000 mile mark. Figuring I will have some good trending to continue at the 5,000 mile change point.

There's just enough engine issues posted here and on the other LAMBDA forums to give one pause to extend oil changes beyond that point.

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for posting. With just a quick glance at the report it does seem that wear #s are trending down (copper and aluminium). But this isnt the case for the iron. But maybe this is an engine that will always throw out more iron than we are accustom to seeing in other applications :-\.

21 - 40 of 162 Posts