Saturn Outlook Forum banner

41 - 60 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks for posting your UOA. The more oil analysis data we have on these engines, the better!

Intriguing that your Iron is a little higher as was mine. Do you do any excess idling (i.e. remote start/warm-up) or operate vehicle for short trips in colder weather?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
copperbeach & BigTallV,

I saw that also. Interesting to note that Blackstone Laboratories commented on that as well in this report (you may not have been able to read it). Here's what they said:

"You ran this oil considerably longer than last time, so we expected to see iron increase. This metal tends to track with miles on the oil, and so as long as the other wear metals don't increase suddenly, we don't worry about the higher iron reading." Do think then this reflects the fact that I did go 5,000 miles vs. a little over 2,000 miles on the previous change.

BigTallV, I did use the remote more in the last 3 months (SE Michigan and it was cold), but the idling would have been limited to 3-4 minutes at a time. She is garaged daily and those times would have been either shopping or visiting.

Jim
In God We Trust

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Jim, thanks for posting your UOA. I'm changing mine this weekend and then sending out the UOA to Blackstone. I got Mobil1 5W-30 at WM and I've been thinking alot about the filter situation too and I've decided to go back to the ACPF-48 (I'll get at the local Chevy dealer) just because I dont want any hassle from GM if I get an issue either. I'm not saying that there would be an issue if I used the M1-113 but playing it safe. I will do a UOA with the ACPF-48 at 5K too for comparrison. My oil will be just under 5K on it with about 15,900 miles on the OUTLOOK. I'm also keeping ALL receipts for record, I know it's not as good as a receipt from the dealer with VIN# and milage but it's whats said to do in the manual for us DIY'ers. If GM wanted to play hardball they could but a good SA would know how place a good call with service proof in front of him. My Saturn dealer wants $69.00 for a Mobil1 oil service.......no way, I dont mind doing it for $29.00 total :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
COCOATAN09XR said:
...BigTallV, I did use the remote more in the last 3 months (SE Michigan and it was cold), but the idling would have been limited to 3-4 minutes at a time. She is garaged daily and those times would have been either shopping or visiting...
Likewise in the Toronto, ON area. Used the remote start (love it). Didn't really keep track of how much - who knew I'd need to.

I had some fuel dilution, which may be what contributed to higher Iron reading. I'm wondering if it was due to the cold weather idling or not.

Has me wondering about fuel injector cleaner and how often that should be getting dumped in.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
not sure if all of you have seen my UOA. ( i know some have)
what may be interesting to those that have not seen it- is that its at 50% oil life, oil has 5154 miles. and its using 5w-30 dino--- and AC delco filter...

look here... http://www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php?topic=863.0

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
It's interesting about each of us and our driving habits (DIC % VS actual miles driven) and I just looked at the DIC in my OUTLOOK, it's at 62% and 4,911 miles. 3K of those total miles was a trip to FL and back and the rest was just every day driving.

·
Registered
201 Posts
rbarrios said:
not sure if all of you have seen my UOA. ( i know some have)
what may be interesting to those that have not seen it- is that its at 50% oil life, oil has 5154 miles. and its using 5w-30 dino--- and AC delco filter...

look here... http://www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php?topic=863.0
The OLM is tuned for dino oil (as some are already aware)... So I agree, it's interesting. My interest is that your OLM shows 50% remaining life and you've got 5K Miles on the oil with the AC Delco PF48 filter. So far so good. But in your posted UOA, the TBN is at 2.0. Per Blackstone Labs, TBN = 1.0 is effectively the end of the oil life. Again, no issues so far.

Factor in that brand spankin' new fresh dino oil (pick any of the major brands for 5W-30) will range in TBN from 7.5 to 9.0. http://pqiamerica.com/MajorsData.htm The lab says you have *some* oil life remaining, and true enough it does based on TBN 2.0 reading. I for one have a hard time believing the 50% left on the OLM or another 5000 miles would come to fruition. You'll use up the remaining oil life (TBN) before the OLM says you're done as you don't have 50% remaining of additive protection, your TBN would be up higher say around 3.5~4.5. So it's intriguing how your OLM is showing 50% remaining in comparison to the lab results.

As the lab says, you may stretch it out to around 6000 miles, but I wouldn't push it any further on that particular fill of dino oil regardless of what your OLM is saying.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Agreed- I wondered about that too-- the 2.0TBN and the 50% OLM.
Im pondering going to 6000 miles next time- and doing a UOA....

·
Registered
54 Posts
rbarrios said:
Agreed- I wondered about that too-- the 2.0TBN and the 50% OLM.
Im pondering going to 6000 miles next time- and doing a UOA....
Just yesterday I sent in a sample of a synthetic 0w30 pulled from my Traverse in which the OLM read 50% exactly with the OCI being 4640 miles. This oil had done its duty through the winter months i.e mid November until now. I will post the UOA #s when it comes in.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Hey guys is it worth the extra $10 to have the TBN test done if I know for a fact that I wont let my oil go over 5K with this DI engine?

·
Registered
54 Posts
6Sixathome said:
Hey guys is it worth the extra $10 to have the TBN test done if I know for a fact that I wont let my oil go over 5K with this DI engine?
Maybe not.

With the lab I use TBN is included in the price.

·
Registered
754 Posts
well maybe not.
Ive gotten it on the analysis for my other cars and its been right on with the OLM.

With the traverse... im REALLY REALLY curious about the TBN left.
Once I get an idea of how far to go-- then I wouldnt get it....

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
OK got my oil changed, sample done and packed into a small box and ready to mail Monday morning. How long before I should expect the results? Should I use USPS standard or USPS with a tracking #? What have you guys had good luck with?

·
Registered
54 Posts
6Sixathome said:
OK got my oil changed, sample done and packed into a small box and ready to mail Monday morning. How long before I should expect the results? Should I use USPS standard or USPS with a tracking #? What have you guys had good luck with?
I just send it regular mail in a soft bubble package to cut down on the cost.

Btw, what are the details of this particular sample i.e oil type and grade and miles in use.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
copperbeech said:
I just send it regular mail in a soft bubble package to cut down on the cost.

Btw, what are the details of this particular sample i.e oil type and grade and miles in use.
The oil is Mobil1 5w30 with a M1-113 filter. The oil and filter have 4,968 miles while my OUTLOOK has just under 16K. This is the 4th oil and filter change I've done to this vehicle since new. I've always used Mobil1 5w30 since the FF. I refilled with Mobil1 5w30 and used a PF48 filter. I'll do another UOA in 5K more miles to compare having used 2 different filters. I drove for about 20 min at operating temp like Blackstone suggested to do before taking the sample. I opted not for a TBN test.

·
Registered
54 Posts
6Sixathome said:
The oil is Mobil1 5w30 with a M1-113 filter. This is the 4th oil and filter change I've done to this vehicle since new. I've always used Mobil1 5w30 since the FF. I refilled with Mobil1 5w30 and used a PF48 filter. I'll do another UOA in 5K more miles to compare having used 2 different filters.
As I recall I think you are back to a PF48 because of potential but remote warranty concerns? I have 3 of these M1-113 filters in my basement but for the same concern I have continued to stick with the OEM. But I have seen enough uninspiring UOAs on this 3.6L DI in which the oil was M1 to make the decision not use M1 oil in my engine. And before doing a complete drain on my current fill I will take just a small sample and get it analyzed prior to a doing a full replacement. That way I can make a better decision i.e. when to replace and what *not* to replace it with ;).

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
copperbeech, the small sample sounds like a good idea for filter deciding purposes. How will you extract the oil?

·
Registered
201 Posts
6Sixathome said:
Once you've dialed in your OCI, I wouldn't really do the TBN test if it isn't already included in the price of your UOA. Doing a TBN test on a winter fill and one on a summer fill will give you a good idea of what protection is left on your unit based on your mix of driving. i.e. Once you've proven that 5K on your brand/type of oil and filter is working well for your 3.6 DI engine, then no need to conduct further TBN tests.

41 - 60 of 162 Posts