Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

This will be my second visit to my GM dealer to replace a faulty airbag sensor in the passenger seat . I had to replace it two years ago while it was still under warranty. The technician told me the sensor was burning out which has been happening to other outlooks. The scary thing is that you never know when it's going to turn off on you while a passenger is sitting. I hope GM is going to make a recall. I certainly hope not be charged for the replacement. If there's a GM representative that can assist me on the board it would greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply but that's actually a separate issue. I called GM and my vin # for 2008 model is not being recalled. My issue is with the passenger seat sensor in which turns off the airbag when a person under 80 pounds is sitting in it. The sensor burns out over time and turns off the airbag regardless of the passenger's weight.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you don't already belong to the other forums (Enclave, Traverse, Acadia) sign up using the same password and username that you use here. You can search those boards for the same problem, which I recall reading about over the years. By signing up, you will also see any pictures that have been posted.

You can visit those sites by clicking on their board names which are located near the top of this forum under the date. All those other models share the same mechanics and other systems for the most part.

You can also download a free GM service manual for the 2008-2010 models going to this link

https://anonfiles.com/file/4faae135818bcc2be6e3bce8b839eace

I just did a quick search on the Acadia board and Google returned these results (don't know why Google returned results, usually it is what is on the board you search, maybe I did something different doing this search.) You are not alone with this problem just as I thought. Hopefully you will be able to find an answer in some of those posts.

https://www.google.com/search?domains=www.acadiaforum.net&sitesearch=www.acadiaforum.net&q=air+bag+seat+sensor

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the information. I will take a look. Much appreciated! Just hope I don't get stuck with a 1k bill when it's obvious a serious design issue that should be recalled. Especially with the current airbag failures GM is having. Is there a GM representative on the forum, still?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yes, but I think they are mainly on the Enclave and Acadia board. Fridays always seem to be a good time for them to post. I think they have to get so many posts in for the week! ::)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well after a week of driving the airbag sensor light is still going off while my wife is sitting in the passenger seat. I had it serviced at my local GM dealer and they said it looked fine and suggested that it may have been a container of hand wipes under the seat causing it to turn off the airbag . I guess I need to call GM representative now.

I can't believe this is not being recalled as its the third time (second for me as I bought it used) the seat airbag sensor needs to be replaced. The last time I had it replaced the technician showed me the wire connector that had basically burnt out.

Is there is a GM representative on line could you please help!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Knock on wood I had mine fixed under warranty and it still seems to be working.

My suggestion if you can't get satisfaction from GM is to lodge a complaint on NTSB site....if enough people file a similar complaint it will force GM / NTSB to take it seriously. Keep your receipts in case it becomes a recall item later on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spoke to a GM representative yesterday. She contacted my local GM dealer and they supposedly are going to replace the sensor free of charge. I will keep you all posted. Oh that's once I get my outlook back as my transmission is being rebuilt due to a wave plate issue.

·
Registered
154 Posts
geoff1988 said:
I spoke to a GM representative yesterday. She contacted my local GM dealer and they supposedly are going to replace the sensor free of charge. I will keep you all posted. Oh that's once I get my outlook back as my transmission is being rebuilt due to a wave plate issue.
Glad to hear GM is doing the right thing. :)

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
geoff1988 said:
They will...had mine replaced in the Enclave 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sailfish said:
They will...had mine replaced in the Enclave 2 weeks ago.
Was your VIN listed as part of the recall? I've checked my VIN and it's not included, but I'm experiencing the airbag sensor problem. Maybe I'll swing by the dealer and talk to them about it this weekend.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
SenordrummeR2 said:
Was your VIN listed as part of the recall? I've checked my VIN and it's not included, but I'm experiencing the airbag sensor problem. Maybe I'll swing by the dealer and talk to them about it this weekend.
Obviously it was because when the service adviser checked it was on thee list.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After my local GM dealer having my Outlook for two days they had no luck on replicating the issue . I guess I need to try another dealer

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm confused, in an earlier post you mentioned GM had agreed to replace the sensor free of charge. Did this not happen / not work / different issue?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well the new story is only if they could replicate the issue. The dealership manager couldn't get a faulty code reading. The manager stated that if he replaces the sensor and if it's not faulty he would get stuck with the $700 charge. He apparently has to send the old sensor back to a GM.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well the dealership was finally able to replicate that the airbag sensor was not detecting the passenger's weight correctly which was happening intermittently . The sensor erroneously read that the passenger was below the weight limit despite weighing 125 pounds. The dealership now has to go back to GM for approval to replace the whole sensor.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts