Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Just bought a used 2008 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, Carbon Flash color...25,000 miles. I love it, love it, love it!!!

Anyway any of you had any problems with water coming in during rain storms and also when you go thru the car wash. It comes in by the emergency brake pedal? I'm going to the dealer to have this checked out since it is still under warranty.

any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

CarbonFlash

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Can you give us more options about your Outlook? Do you have a sunroof? if you do that is most likely your problem. There has been many problems with the 07 and 08 Lambdas (Outlook, Acadia, Enclave) and a major recall was done on them. Sounds like it may not have been done on yours. However there are other possibilities. Let us know what th dealer says and welcome to the forumn.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help.

It does have a sunroof, and rear moonroof. I have seen a post on Edmunds from a guy who had the same problem on his Outlook and he does not have a sunroof...could also be a bogus post though since 99% of the people complaining about leaks down the A pillars into the floor have a sunroof. It does appear however that the water is only coming in on the driver's side. I'm going to try the garden hose test on the sunroof and the windshield before I bring it in to the dealer though cuz I did notice a recall becuase of the winshield seal as well. Will keep you posted.

Thanks again

-CarbonFlash

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
CarbonFlash said:
Thanks for the help.

It does have a sunroof, and rear moonroof. I have seen a post on Edmunds from a guy who had the same problem on his Outlook and he does not have a sunroof...could also be a bogus post though since 99% of the people complaining about leaks down the A pillars into the floor have a sunroof. It does appear however that the water is only coming in on the driver's side. I'm going to try the garden hose test on the sunroof and the windshield before I bring it in to the dealer though cuz I did notice a recall becuase of the winshield seal as well. Will keep you posted.

Thanks again

-CarbonFlash
Trust me it is getting in, in places that you can't see and will cause damage. GET IT IN!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I made an appointment for tomorrow with the Saturn dealer. I took the hose to it and found it was coming in on both the passenger and driver's sides. It's definitly the sunroof. I don't understand why the previous owner did not bring it in!!!! GGGGGGRRRRRRRR!!!

Hopefully there is not too much damage.

Thanks for the help and will keep posted on the outcome.

-CarbonFlash

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
CarbonFlash said:
Yes I made an appointment for tomorrow with the Saturn dealer. I took the hose to it and found it was coming in on both the passenger and driver's sides. It's definitly the sunroof. I don't understand why the previous owner did not bring it in!!!! GGGGGGRRRRRRRR!!!

Hopefully there is not too much damage.

Thanks for the help and will keep posted on the outcome.

-CarbonFlash
My question would be "why didnt the dealer check the car history and recall notices before putting it back on the lot"? Make sure the headliner is not molded or stained, the floor board under the carpet and the front seats is not rusted and that the carpet is still good and molded.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok folks...where to start...

I am currently sitting here typing this with my 08 Outlook still sitting at the dealer for leak problems.

I brought it in a few weeks ago for leaking problems. They did the Sunroof/Drain tube fix and figured that was it. I pulled out of the dealer with satisfaction until a week later. A week later it rained and the water was seen under the dash on bioth sides that was going at a small trickle. I could not believe my eyes. Brought it in again...in which case they had said it was probably the windshield. The glass guy showed up and did his pressure tests and said that he was not going to perform the fix because he said that was not the problem. A couple days ago I got a call from the tech that they had to wait for a part to come in. He was thinking that a drain tube was cracked. Well the part came in, they took the vehicle apart to find that the drain tubes were fine. Then the really crappy part starts. They desired to perform pressure water tests over the whole vehicle. I unfortunately agreed to it. They had pumped so much water through the thing that my front floor boards on both sides were drenched and the headliners on each side next to the doors were drenched. What!!! I arrived at he dealer with my second rental vehicle to pick up my beloved Outlook and found all of the windows completely fogged up. I turned the key and both the front and rear heater were on full blast 90 degrees. I asked the guy if they had accidentally left it out in the rain with the sunroof open. He replied that with as much water they pumped through it to find the leak the drain tubes for the sunroof could not keep up and the water just found the path of least resistance. Now I'm thinking what is all this water doing to my carpets, my floor boards, my headliners, not to mention my electrical system. What they found from all this testing is that the sunroof rain deflector was impeeding the drainage by pooling up water so that the drain tubes could not keep up with it. WHAT!!!

Ok so now here is my question: Does anyone have a sunroof wind deflector? Apparently they said that the deflector was pooling up water n top of the sunroof not allowing it to drain properly. The deflector isn't even attached to the sunroof so how could that happen.

So after that fiasco I decide that the deflector ( which looked really cool) had to stay off.

But wouldn't you know it... On my way home it started to rain and sure enough started to leak again...I brought it back and the technician said I am pretty sure it must be the windshield?! The windshield guy is due out today to reseal the windshield and then the tech will start his tests again. So I sit here with rental car number three! I love my 08 but with all this leaking I don't want to deal with it anymore. I'm looking at talking to the dealer about an even trade for a new 09 WITHOUT a sunroof!!! WHAT A HEADACHE!!! A generally new 35,000 dollar vehicale should not be somehting to worry about!!!!

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
CarbonFlash said:
Ok so now here is my question: Does anyone have a sunroof wind deflector? Apparently they said that the deflector was pooling up water n top of the sunroof not allowing it to drain properly. The deflector isn't even attached to the sunroof so how could that happen.

So after that fiasco I decide that the deflector ( which looked really cool) had to stay off.
That is a load of crap. My Outlook had one and that is not why it leaked. When I traded in my Outlook for my Acadia, I took the deflector with me and I have not had any trouble with it at all. There have been reports of windshield leaks but only a couple. There is another hose behind the dash on the passenger side that is part of the drain system. That came apart and the engineer from GM happened to be at the dealership on the day it happened and he knew what it was and they had it fixed in about an hour.

Keep the deflector, it is not the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts