Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We might as well get it started on this forum as well. Let’s hear about your options the state you purchased it in and what the final sticker price was. We can apply our own state sales tax in our heads.

1. Model and options
2. Costs / Fees (dealer paperwork – tax title and license)

I know this tread is too common, but it is a very nice tool for those of us who will be purchasing in the near future.

Thanks for all of the information,
-Matt

·
Registered
25 Posts
"Fully Loaded" 7 passenger, 19 inch Wheel Outlook XR with DVD/NAV AWD, the "only" thing that the car does not have is the Engine Block Heater, but then i live in CA. We do not get snow in our area; we have Lake Tahoe for our snow fun...

Paid $43,095 OTD. This includes all costs and taxes, With GM supplier discount.

Sorry for the lame pics. Same as i used for pic share... I will get better ones soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is it still true that Saturn dealers do not negotiate on price. That was the claim to fame when Saturn first started. If it is still true then wouldn't we all be paying the same if we bought the same model and options?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I find it hard to believe that a dealership would not come off a price to sell a vehicle.

SilverXR,

Thanks for the information, however because I don’t know what the sales tax or dealer paperwork fees were, could you let us know what sticker was?

·
Registered
39 Posts
czar97 said:
I find it hard to believe that a dealership would not come off a price to sell a vehicle.

SilverXR,

Thanks for the information, however because I don’t know what the sales tax or dealer paperwork fees were, could you let us know what sticker was?
I agree that it sounds strange. When Saturn first started, part of the marketing strategy was that there was no negotiating on price. The window sticker was the final price. Sales reps were non-commissioned, straight salary. This used to be advertised in the TV ads. The campaign spoke to making the new car buying experience painless and stress free. I don't know if it worked or if it is still the policy. Does anyone know if this is still true?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Tom H said:
Is it still true that Saturn dealers do not negotiate on price. That was the claim to fame when Saturn first started. If it is still true then wouldn't we all be paying the same if we bought the same model and options?
I kind of answered my own question when I found this article in the review section by True Delta. Has anyone paid less than MSRP, not counting rebates or special promotions?

GMC Acadia Prices and Price Comparisons.

The Saturn Outlook starts at $28,790, the Acadia $2,000 higher, and the the Enclave another $2,000 higher. But the level of standard features increases with the base prices. For example, xenon headlamps are standard on the Buick. To get them on the GMC, you'll have to spend well over the base price of the Enclave. Also, the Acadia and Enclave come standard with second-row captain's chairs, a $495 option on the Saturn. (Opting for a bench in the GMC or Buick brings with it a $495 credit.) It's possible to push the prices of any of them well over $40,000.

Even after adjusting for features the Saturn lists for about $1,000 less than the other two. But incentives tend to be lower on Saturns, and their policy remains to sell at MSRP. So in the end the final purchase prices of the three will tend to be close when they are similarly equipped.

But you're going to want a specific set of features. Depending on what you want, any of the three could be the cheapest. So don't assume anything before pricing them out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
$31,555 (Standard Vehicle price)
$10,774.00 (options)
$735 (Destination Charge)

$43,064 (Before savings)

With supplier discount it came down to:

$40,353 (GM supplier discount)

$43,742 ( Doc fees and Taxes)

$44,096 (License fees and tire fees)

$1000 Key discount for only 3 states: (FL, TX, CA) They called it the Luxury Pkg. Discount

I went to three dealerships and none wanted to mention this or even know about it. At this point i was trying to negotiate, but obviously, Saturn does not. I did not know about this discount at the time. So i did a bit more research and found something on a Luxury pkg. Discount. I then called another dealership in my area and spoke to the Internet Manager, before i mentioned anything he gave me numbers, and was 1000 lower than all the dealerships. He then proceeded to tell me about the discount for CA, it applied also to TX and FL. This is the guy i wanted to deal with. He was honest, great sales skills and made what car shopping should be "not stressful". Well, i guess a bit less stressful, 40+K for a Saturn was still a bit stressful. In anyway we made an appointment to go down and sure enough the numbers he gave me over the phone, he stood by them. I told him about the other dealerships and he said i guess everyone is out to make that extra buck. He told me he just wanted a satisfied customer, so he got one!

Grand total OTD: $43,096.16[/color], i was off a buck from my last post. I had the papers in front of me this time. In anyway, hope this clears some questions up...

BTW, the luxury goes by another name, but it includes Dual skyscape sunroof, touring pkg, 19 inch wheels, all season tires, Dual Exhaust, premium trim pkg, Leather appointed 1st and 2nd row seats,Heated fronts seats. This is off the sticker we kept from the car, it has the discount on their, how did those other dealers miss that...Hmmm!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's my Saturn Story

Just signed the agreement and will be taking the down payment to the dealership tomorrow afternoon, signing the papers and taking the Outlook home.

We paid sticker minus my GM employee discount (through grandma). Then we got the added bumper to bumper warranty for $1,250 which takes us to 75,000 miles or 5 years (base bumper to bumper is 3 years or 36,000).

When I asked what kind of deal, if any, I could get on this car he stated that the extended bumper to bumper is $1,4XX and that the mud guards are $14X and we got them for $108. Other than that, no more deals.

I feel like I didn’t get much of a deal however the base sticker on the vehicle that we chose is $34,335 which is defiantly on the low end of the spectrum. So we basically paid $31,XXX (plus the extended warranty of course).

So how’d I do???

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in the Indianapolis area. My brother is a GM employee so we got the GMS discount thru him.

We bought our 2007 Midnight Blue XE w/ Black cloth int. on June 20th.
MSRP = $28,600 minus GMS discount got down to just over $26k (+ tax, etc)
OTD total = $28k

The sub-$30,000 Outlooks are hard to get here. Most of them are mid-30's to low-40's.
Had to wait 3-weeks for it to come from Lansing, MI. We wanted to get in to an Outlook for as cheap as we could.

We drove 3 different trim levels. Didn't much care for the wood trim, the brushed aluminum in the XE is much cooler.
Had a moon-roof in the last car (04 Grand Prix), don't miss it...had the slide screen closed most of the time because it had dk. grey leather seats and would feel like sitting on the sun if you left it open during the summer. The only thing I really miss is the HUD.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2007 Diamond Tri-Coat XR FWD
Touring package (Fl, Tx, Ca only) 19 " wheels
Luxury pckg
Trailering pckg
Moon roof
Leather 2nd Row Capts chairs
Chrome step rails
HID/Xenon
XM/OnStar
basically everything but block heater, Nav, and DVD.
7000 miles demo car
$32680 +++... $35400 out the door

We originally were looking at Tahoes, Suburbans, Yukons, etc...
We've had it for 2 days, can't get the wife to get out of the car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I purchased a 2008 XR FWD Outlook in NJ. I shopped 3 saturn dealerships 2 in NJ and 1 in PA and none would budge from the MSRP sticker price.
However I did have some leverage as I had a vehicle to trade. The difference between the high and the low that I was offered for the trade was $2000....so since no one would negotiate, it made my choice easy and I went with the dealership that offered me the most for my trade. The Outlook MSRP was $31,915 because it included the premium trim package (leather). The dealership had another ~$850 worth of add-ons including chrome fender trim, chrome door trim, pin-stipe, and window etching (none of which I wanted but were already on the vehicle)....I know these items are fluff but since I was getting $4k (KBB value) for my trade-in and the other dealerships offered less.... and I new I would get the current $500 rebate, I caved in rather than argue about it. Tax in NJ is 7% and tags last 4years at a cost of ~$350. After the document handling fees, my out the door price was ~$30,800.
I will be happy to provide any additional requested details.....
Key1

·
Registered
59 Posts
key1cc said:
I purchased a 2008 XR FWD Outlook in NJ. I shopped 3 saturn dealerships 2 in NJ and 1 in PA and none would budge from the MSRP sticker price.
However I did have some leverage as I had a vehicle to trade. The difference between the high and the low that I was offered for the trade was $2000....so since no one would negotiate, it made my choice easy and I went with the dealership that offered me the most for my trade.
Yes, that's how it works with Saturn. Some haggle enough with the dealer that they'll knock some off, but Saturn's policy has always been to pay the pre-discounted MSRP. Except, of course, if you get GM Employee or GM Supplier pricing, then you do get an automatic discount from there, followed by any incentives at the time.

It makes it very easy to buy (i.e., "dealer A will give me this much off, and this for trade, dealer B will...."), just at most haggling over trade. More and more, new people moving to Saturn still seem not to get the concept, and get angry over it, but it's there for a reason and will stay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ordered an 08 Outlook XR FWD this past Saturday.

Didn't want all the "dealer add-ons" so we ordered one from the factory. They say it will take 60 days for delivery but we get exactly what we want. Which is (basically everything except towing package):
XR FWD
Ocean Mist
Black Leather
Premium Trim Pkg
Advanced Audio Pkg
Touring Pkg
Convenience Pkg
Enhanced Convenience Pkg
Sunroof/Rear skylight
HID headlights
Running boards
Did not come down from MSRP but they are "throwing in" premium mud mats for dealer cost ($150)

Total after "destination" but before tax,tag,etc. is $38,035 (from this we get to subtract any factory incentives that are in place at time of delivery)

All the ones on the dealer lots have between $2000 and $4000 in "stuff" that I didn't need to pay that much for (stripes, mud flaps, etc.)

Anybody else order directly from Saturn? Interested in actual delivery times or any tips or problems, dealer said it "should be 60 days".

·
Registered
16 Posts
I paid $41.2K out the door. That's after taxes, delivery, etc. added, then minus both - $1,000 Conquest discount and - $1,000 trade-in (93 Buick).

I can't stand a stripped down vehicle. Whatever brand and model I buy, i always get the model loaded to the gills, because there are certain things I refuse to live without. HIDs, satellite radio, heated leather, and on-board DVD Navigation are things I will not go without. If a vehicle doesn't offer all of them, I won't buy the vehicle.

I added every possible option except captains chairs (I actually wanted the 8 passenger) and rear seat DVD entertainment. My kids are at an age where they no longer care about that stuff.

Paid cash for the vehicle, so no finance charges. Love it. Awesome vehicle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got my 2008 Outlook FWD XE in October (Cocoa with Tan Cloth interior seats).
Standard Vehicle Price was $27,605.00
Options:
Preferred Pkg: $690.00
Trailering Pkg: $425.00
Saturn Guard/Pinstripes: $439.85 (rip off!)
Destination Chg: $735.00
Total w/options: $29,894.85
Less GM Supplier Discount $(1,021.99):
$28,872.86
Less $500 Cash incentive:
$28,372.86

I also traded in 2 vehicles for $12,500 and ended up financing just under $17K at 5.34%.

·
Registered
13 Posts
jfullam said:
Saturn Guard/Pinstripes: $439.85 (rip off!)
Every dealship I have ever bought a new car from that has included that has always taken it off. Cause we all know it only cost them at most $50 in time and materials to do it. Not sure what the policy is with Saturn but that is a deal breaker for me and I've always let them know it, they usually moan and complain they can't take it off or are willing to go half price but I don't budge. I didn't ask them to put it on so therefore I won't pay for it. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
My Saturn dealer was offering $1000.00 off MSRP or 3.9%. I had a good down payment and I took the 3.9%. So the base of my 07 OUTLOOK XR was $29,555.00 I had $7,439.00 in options with a total vehicle price of $37,729.00 including destination charge of $735.00 which I have a hard time digesting since I'm only two and a half hours away from the factory! but anyway it is what it is. My options are CONVENIENCE PKG-$1,045.00 TOURING PKG-$895.00 ADVANCED AUDIO PKG-$510.00 PREMIUM TRIM PKG-$1,275.00 TRAILERING PKG-$425.OO DUAL SKYSCAPE SUNFOOF-$1300.00 ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM-$1,295.00 7 PASS SEATING W/2ND ROW CAPTAIN'S CHAIRS & 3RD ROW SPLIT BENCH SEAT-$495.00 XM SATELLITE RADIO-SERVICE FEE EXTRA 1ST 3 MONTHS INCL.-$199.00, I think on the 08's the XM fee is included in the price and not an option. Also free car washes and excellent jonny on the spot service when I need it, I could not ask for a better dealership! :thumb:

·
Registered
16 Posts
2007 Outlook XR in February: 41.2K out the door.

AWD
Heated Leather
Touring Package (19 inch tires and upgraded suspension)
Dual sunroofs
Xenon HIDs
DVD Navigation
XM
Trailering Package
Advanced Audio
Ultrasonic Park Assist
Frankly, everything--every available option except the DVD movie player

OTD price was minus Conquest Discount ($1,000) and Trade-In (a 1993 junker for $1,000)

We've taken our Outlook on three cross-USA road trips. We didn't need maps because of the Nav; seats as soft as butter; XM; advanced audio; HIDs for tremendous nighttime visibility; bigger tires and suspension for comfort. A family of five and all our luggage in limosine-like comfort.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts