Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 Xe at about 4000 miles and i am looking at different oils to use. I have narrowed it down to these choices.

Amsoil XL-7500 5w-30
Mobil 1 Extended performance 5w-30
Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0w-30

What oils are you using in your outlook and how is it performing?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have been using pennzoil platinum 5w-30 with wix filters. You can go on Bob is the oil guy website they have a lot of info on oils and filters.

·
Registered
25 Posts
zfiero said:
I have been using pennzoil platinum 5w-30 with wix filters. You can go on Bob is the oil guy website they have a lot of info on oils and filters.
what is the time change on the pennzoil platinum? WIX are the best filters, i've been using them since 1998

·
Registered
45 Posts
muskieteer said:
The mobil extended oil does not meet the Gm6094 benchmark that is required for the 3.6 v-6.
What about the Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w-30 isn't up to par with the GM oil requirements?

Mobil 1 recommends it for 08's under warranty.... (along with the M1 Fuel Economy , and the M1 5w-30 truck/suv)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I waited until 9000 miles and converted to Castrol Syntec 5W-30
Tim C.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have never used synthetic oil. I know it is supposed to last longer. Other than than, do you feel other difference, fuel economy, for instance?

Do you still change oil every 3k miles with synthetic?

·
Registered
26 Posts
tradewind said:
I have never used synthetic oil. I know it is supposed to last longer. Other than than, do you feel other difference, fuel economy, for instance?

Do you still change oil every 3k miles with synthetic?
Yes, there is difference in how the engine sounds, especially when it starts in cold winter mornings. I didn't notice a difference in fuel economy maybe because I switch to synthetic right away and don't pay attention. I believe synthetic is just a better oil for my cars. I tow a TT with my Outlook and even after a long haul I don't see any rapid hit on % of oil life left; looks like it deteriorates in the same pace as going solo.
I had a Suzuki Esteem sedan for 9 years and always drove on Castrol Syntech. When I sold it, the car had 160K miles and now has 35K more. The engine is still going strong (1.6 l, 4 cylinder) and it passed emission test with flying colors.

I change oil in the Outlook based on what the DIC tells me but don't let it go under 20%. With my Civic, I go 2K miles extra than the book says.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thank you very J33. I have an XE, no DIC. So I will just have to follow the book then on mileages...

I am wondering how the oil life is calculated. Does the car actually do a on-board test/analysis of the oil property? If so, what does it measure? Viscosity? Free carbon concentration? Alternatively, it can simply run an algorithm of mileage and elapsed time without actually assessing the oil condition. The algorithm resets itself at each service. You could have put cooking oil there and it'll still give you a % of life left.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry tradewind, I absolutely have no clue how the oil life is calculated. I believe there is a discussion thread on acadiaforum site that could answer your questions.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just found out that they do tell remained oil life on my XE DIC. With that it's easy to find out how they calculate the oil life. The next time I change oil, if the oil life automatically shows 100%, then there is a sensor actually analyzing the oil. If I need to manually reset the oil life, then they are running a mile/time algorithm.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You do have to reset after an oil change. I believe the oil life monitor bases it's percentages on time, mileage and driving habits.
Tim C.

·
Registered
54 Posts
TSC1969 said:
You do have to reset after an oil change. I believe the oil life monitor bases it's percentages on time, mileage and driving habits.
Tim C.
I figured as much since my XE also has it. Once the display is there, the oil life feature is entirely software based, no added hardware cost. If GM has to add sensors to actually analyze oil property, XE wouldn't have had it.

Thanks TSC1969.

·
Registered
61 Posts
compnurd said:
if you went from 10w30 to 0w-30 then yeh maybe but not from 5w to 0w
Thought I'd chime in for my first post since I work in the oil industry. First, let's break down a multi-grade oil's classification. The 5w means it meets the cold weather properties of a 5w oil. The 30 means it is an SAE 30 at 100 deg C (close to operating temp). So, the viscosity at operating temperature for 0w30, 5w30 and 10w30 are all the same. The differences come in cold start performance and cold temp pumpability.

As far as synthetics go, the biggest difference between them and petroleum based oil is cold weather performance. Synthetics have much better cold weather performance than their counterparts. However, the additive package (at least in our oil) is exactly the same. So, while the oil itself will stand up better to longer life, the additive package will be used up at the same rate.

I can try and answer any other questions that you guys have.

·
Registered
142 Posts
bloc0102 said:
However, the additive package (at least in our oil) is exactly the same. So, while the oil itself will stand up better to longer life, the additive package will be used up at the same rate.
Thanks for the info. I do have a question regarding the additive package.
I converted to synthetic for the "higher quality, cold temp start up properties and the longer change intervals."
For me, the longer change intervals may not apply due to the shorter driving distances I do. It may take me 6 months to rack up 4 - 5,000 miles.
I know the recommended change interval for conventional oil is 3 months or 3,000 miles. What should the realistic oil change interval be for synthetic oil? Does the "additive package" allow for longer change intervals regarding time or is the longer change intervals only regarding miles?
Tim C.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts