Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my 2007 Outlook XR (not AWD) about a month ago and at low speeds I have a whining noise that seems to come from the steering column. I thought it was coming from the power steering part. I carried it in and they drove 5 other Outlooks with the same noise and said that they had never had that complaint before but have had 2 separate ones that same day. Said until GMC provides a recall for it, I have to just put up with the noise and they assured me that it was nothing dangerous. Any one else with this same problem?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have heard the same noise, but not while driving. I notice it when I get out of the vehicle,with the engine off, and within 10 sec it shuts off. I thought it might be the lights at first, but it shuts off before the lights do. It seem the sound comes from behind the grille. Might be the radiator fans? Not sure though. no biggie to me,yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
:( I have the very same problem it seems. The whining varies as you turn the steering wheel and when you accelerate. Took it to a dealer and he claims that he replaced the steering pump and flushed and filled the system. No change. Has gotten progressively worse.
They now tell me that this is not an isolated problem. They are in contact with factory engineers and waiting on a fix. It's been 5 weeks. I call weekly. Not happy about this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem with our 2007 Outlook XE. The dealer said it was coming from the power steering pump and has a replacement on order. Hope it fixes the whine.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Re: whining noise from front end - Potential Solution?

One of my relatives has an '08 Enclave which had the power steering whine, which was recently repaired at the dealership by replacing the Power Steering Cooler (PSC). Seems that it had a leak in a weld or the fitting to PSC, and it would allow not only fluid to leak out, but also air to come in.

So far, no more whine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My power steering pump whines and it also whines thru the steering column. Sometimes it whines bad enuff to hear it over the radio. I also feel a vibration thru the steering wheel. It has to be either the pump or the rack and pinion itself because I don't hear it when the engine is off. I read in the acadia forum that their is a TSB for it which includes replacing the ps pump rack and hose so they know this is a problem. I was told by the stealership that it was the dust boot and it will get louder and to deal with it. I have owned lots of GM cars and trucks and this may be the turning point for us. We haven't had any issues with my wifes Ford edge and it has more miles on it. I am going to try another dealership friday to see what they say about it. I just think this is totally unacceptable.

·
Registered
131 Posts
maroguy1 said:
My power steering pump whines and it also whines thru the steering column. Sometimes it whines bad enuff to hear it over the radio. I also feel a vibration thru the steering wheel. It has to be either the pump or the rack and pinion itself because I don't hear it when the engine is off. I read in the acadia forum that their is a TSB for it which includes replacing the ps pump rack and hose so they know this is a problem. I was told by the stealership that it was the dust boot and it will get louder and to deal with it. I have owned lots of GM cars and trucks and this may be the turning point for us. We haven't had any issues with my wifes Ford edge and it has more miles on it. I am going to try another dealership friday to see what they say about it. I just think this is totally unacceptable.
If it "whines" through the steering column, and it occurred on my '09 Outlook to which I describe as a "zip-tie" noise, the source of the problem is the steering rack, or "steering gear" as described by GM. The pinion housing seal suffers from lack of lubrication, and the solution is an updated pinion housing (part of the steering rack, not the whole rack) and the introduction of Dexron VI. It is covered in TSB P10029H, which is discussed in this thread of the Acadia forum:

http://www.acadiaforum.net/index.php?topic=9842.msg186666;topicseen#new

If the whine varies with engine rpm, then the whine is more related to the power steering pump.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yah it has the zip tie noise and I can also hear a slight power steering pump whine (with higher rpms). I drove the crap out of it today and towards the end of the day the steering was getting loud like normal with the vibrations thru the steering wheel and it was getting hard to turn at slow speeds then the wheel didn't return to center twice. Getting kind of dangerous to drive now I wont let my wife drive it she would be stuck if it completely went out (8 months pregnant). Thx for reply

·
Registered
131 Posts
maroguy1 said:
Yah it has the zip tie noise and I can also hear a slight power steering pump whine (with higher rpms). I drove the crap out of it today and towards the end of the day the steering was getting loud like normal with the vibrations thru the steering wheel and it was getting hard to turn at slow speeds then the wheel didn't return to center twice. Getting kind of dangerous to drive now I wont let my wife drive it she would be stuck if it completely went out (8 months pregnant). Thx for reply
Take it into the dealership as soon as possible. Sounds like you have a sick steering rack and power steering pump. Replacing those parts and introducing the Dexron VI will go a long way to solving the steering issues. The TSB is P10029H. I have a copy, which I have posted the 1st two pages in the other forum. Note: P10029H talks only about replacing the pinion housing (which is PART of the steering rack), which holds the seal that is causing your zip-tie noise. In your case, you'll probably need a complete steering rack replaced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts