Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm new, and I haven't seen this question answered. I'm close to buying an Outlook, but have a question.

I think I'm going to get one with the Navigation system, but no DVD player. I have been looking, and although there is an aux cord jack, apparently there is no direct Ipod interface available (the PAL system is not ready, and they don't know when it will be). So I likely will just use MP3s burned to a disk.

So here are my questions:

1. Have you used MP3s burned to disk in the Outlook (or on a similar GM radio) and do you like it?
2. Do you know whether, if I get a Nav system but no DVD player, I can still load a burned DVD (with about 4+ gigs of MP3s) and use it? Does it have to be DVD + or -?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I have an 2007 XR AWD, with DVD and NAV. I've burned hundreds of MP3's to a CD and the NAV screen display shows all the infiormation, song name, artist, etc, very nice display, it can also load the catalog of the MP3's so you can navigate through easily.

I will test burning some MP3's to a DVD and see if that works out.

Thank You

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just tried it used a DVD+R RW with Windows Media Player burned a data disc with songs, WMA format, 4.2GB available on the DVD for songs, should hold 1000's of files. Worked fine in the outlook DVD player, showed songs on the NAV screen. No problem, can practically put my enitire collection on one disk, no need for the Aux IPod connection.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is totally awesome - Thanks!

4 gigs of songs beats 720 Mb any day! Better than most flash ipods.

I have about a 20 gig collection - - but take out all the Xmas songs, break out the classical and kids stuff separately, and it should easily go down to 5 DVDs or so of separate song styles.

Thanks again for guinea pigging this!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear you on the Nav/DVD thing. Hopefully, it will work out. My thought is that since the updates to the Nav system come on a DVD rom, the Nav system will play a DVD the same way (although no screen on the roof in the back).

Fingers crossed.

As to aftermarket Ipod connectors, I'm not into tricking out the car with a lot of aftermarket stuff installed by the dealer that are not from GM. Too many things to break.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Keep in mind the NAV updates are indeed on a DVD ROM, There are 2 DVD readers in my vehicle, one behind the NAV unit (for the MAP Disk), and one acccessible easily for the driver and passengers, for DVD movies, CD music, DVD MP3's, etc. If you dont have the DVD entertainment system, then I believe it will only read CD/CD ROM's

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I took delivery of my strike-delayed Outlook last week, and it works great!

However, it apparently does not read the DVDs. Again, I have the Nav system, but no DVD player. Looking around, it seems that GM only makes one unit - - there is not a separate unit for the DVD and a separate unit that doesn't have the DVD. So I'm thinking it's a software issue that stops my radio from reading DVD-ROMs.

Anyone have any experience with this? Can you get the Nav radio to play DVD-ROMs (with MP3s) if you don't have a DVD player hooked up?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Here is what's the game:

There are two different NAV radios - the one that comes with RSE and another for the models without RSE (Rear Seat Entertainment).

The RSE NAVs have two DVD reading drives inside - one for the NAV disc (only), located behind the screen, and another for the common media drive which is the one you can insert DVD movies, CD audio discs, CR-R mp3 burnt discs as well as DVD+R (non double layer!) discs with burned mp3's on them.

The non-RSE NAVs have also two drives - one DVD for the NAV disc like on above), but the second one, the common media drive on the top of the unit, is a CD drive - it can't read DVD media of any sort. You can use it for CD Audio and CD-R discs burnt with MP3 files.

Bottom line: if you have NAV and you have RSE option - you can burn MP3's on DVD(+R only as per manual) media as well as CD-R. If you NAV but you don't have RSE - you can use only CD/CD-R discs.

I personally have the NAV with RSE variant. I have tried both CD-R and DVD+R MP3 discs. Both work OK. However, there is big HOWEVER, unfortunately the unit is not designed to take lots of MP3's on the media. It has limited support for browsing the files/selecting what you want to listen to. With CD-R discs it is not as bad as you anyways can't put more than 150 (good quality) MP3 files. DVD MP3's are worse as you can fit roughly 6 times more music on them. Scanning thru the folders takes long time 2-3 minutes for full CDR, (and yes - you guessed - 5-6x longer on a full DVD+R :) ) and recognizes/displays just 20 or 30 subfolders. Others do not get displayed. If your MP3s are properly ripped (contain all artist/album information), you are in better position as you can select to play certain artist/album this way. With above restriction in mind we can burn discs so unit can does use everything on the disc, but here is the most stupid thing they made - every time you want to brwose content it goes thru the scan process again :banghead:. They could have made it to cache the structure until disc is ejected - doesen't sound that hard! So this content browsing feature is kind of useless. I thought playlists, but was quickly turned down by manual - no play list support! Bummer.

I guess some sort of an external MP3 player hook-up is going to be mandatory if you want to listen to your music collection easily.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The scanning and rescanning procedure does make for a headache when listening to CDs. It's bearable if the burned disc is small or you are using a store bought CD with song/artist tags.

I opted for an external MP3 player and use it to listen to music via the AUX port. It's easier and if my daughter wants to watch a movie, I can still listen to music.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Leobg and scotted73 - Thanks very much for taking the time to respond - I appreciate it!

Where do you store your CDs/DVDs in the car?

·
Registered
63 Posts
scotted73 said:
The scanning and rescanning procedure does make for a headache when listening to CDs. It's bearable if the burned disc is small or you are using a store bought CD with song/artist tags.

I opted for an external MP3 player and use it to listen to music via the AUX port. It's easier and if my daughter wants to watch a movie, I can still listen to music.
I am leaning towards your solution too, the only thing stopping me is the cable(s) hanging off the dash and the nesecity to hook/unhook the player every time I get into the car.

may be something like this might help? Too bad it isn't available yet, but is supposed to be released next month. Sounds like perfect integration - for both cell phone hands free calling and listening to music - without all the cable hassles!

·
Registered
87 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts