Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how many of you have looked into replacing your stock Goodyear tires? The problem is that they are an odd size and therefore there are few options. I found a way to beat this and got some nice tires. Its called plus sizing. I did a plus size up but overall the tire is the same height. It is much wider and therefore you can never use spikes spiders, but I have an AWD model and I hardly ever go to the snow. The new tires are Hankook Ventus and they look really nice. Whos laughing now Goodyear? :blob:

·
Registered
754 Posts
yeah- the goodyears are expensive.
I think Cooper makes replacements too.
I wont need tires for a while- as I expect my Goodyears to go to at least 60-80,000.
By then- there may be more selection.

·
Registered
25 Posts
"The new tires are Hankook Ventus and they look really nice. Whos laughing now Goodyear? "

I am actually considering going smaller. I want to keep my OEM 18' rims but I want to buy slightly smaller tires.

NO, I don't want the 'low rider' look. I am not into that. But, just wanted to avoid paying such a high price for the OEM goodyear tires.

Does any one know how small I can go? I want a smaller radius/circumference tire BUT I want to find something with the same 'load' as the goodyears.

Will 'light truck' tires be good enough for the Outlook. Would they have the same specs?

·
Registered
754 Posts
well smaller radius will mean 2 things....
your Speedometer will be slightly off... I think in this case the tires spin faster-- and your shown as going faster-- as well as the miles building up faster. (I think theres an equation for this-- or you can enter the tire size on some web sites and it will tell you how far off your speedo will be)...
AND
smaller diameter will also make you feel the road bumps more-- in essence harsher ride..

Look at the acadia forum... theres some members there who just put in Ventus (hancook) and cooper replacements...
and theyre cheaper.

or you can look on ebay... theres some people selling their tires on there from ther Lambdas-- usually with 100 miles or less.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discount Tire has an online http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos"]tire size calculator[/url] that you can plug in the originals and different alternatives to see the difference in width & diameter. It has definitions for the different parts of the tire size. It'll even tell you what your speed difference will be.

The only number you have to keep the same is the 18 wheel diameter, the other two can vary. Of course, go too wide or narrow (first number) and it won't fit the wheel, but if you change by small amounts you should be fine. Your tire store can also tell you if the size you pick will fit.

FWIW - I've always liked Discount Tire and I've bought at least 6 1/2 sets of tires there plus the wheels for my T'bird. Knowledgeable, friendly and usually the best prices. They'll even special order tires they don't normally carry and they'll still have a better price.

·
Registered
161 Posts
This was a special thing Goodyear did with GM to make a tire size no one else deals with. These days though there are some manufacturers that are trickeling in. I would never own a car with Forteras again!!!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Initially there wasn't anything else other than the Forteras. But as these Lambda vehicles age and they get to the mileage where OE tire replacement is necessary, you will certainly see tire manufacturers stepping up to fill the void. There's no sense in building a new model tire when the OE is still "new". Wouldn't get any sales really. But as the Forteras age and replacement is due, certainly there will be more replacements available from competitors.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Kenyatta Jackson, Welcome to the forum. There are alternate choices for tires for the Outlook, but I noticed on another thread you're having problems with your vehicle starting and running, if I were you I'd take care of that issue first and then if you're going to keep the car then I'd suggest that yo check out Tirerack.com for some good deals.

But I'd have to say if your price quote for the Forteras @ $500 is the out the door price, that's not bad at all!
I have the same car, year and trim and I agree tires are expensive for this car but they're 18" rims and they don't come cheap at that size.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Kenyatta.Jackson said:
I'm in need of tires. Goodyear's Fortera HL are the best option. I just found a set for $500. Retail $800 - $1000
I would be extremely leery of buying a set for $500. They are likely "take-offs"; tires that have been used and are being resold. The tread is likely less than optimal. You should be able to find a full set of new tires for just a little more. I'll never buy the Forteras again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts