Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have had a 01 saturn (oem audio) and a 05 corolla (oem audio and upgraded to a simple pioneer unit) and two ford trucks for work, and my new Outlook is by far the worst audio quality...

Am i crazy? Or is the standard setup lacking any lowend sound? With the bass all the way up it just has nothing. Its like listening with headphones.

I listen to mix of rock and alternative etc. I have tried looking online for tips on adjusting it (and my own knowledge) fading to the back, lowering the high's... didn't seem to help to much.

Hoping someone had a miracle tip?!?!?! Otherwise has anyone upgraded the front or rear speaker? Not sure if it would help (usually it is the headunit that is the issue with OEM)

I am not much of a car audio enthusiast , so not sure if i could add a small amp that would run to all the speakers? Small sub setup?
Also I really like how the stereo looks and operates with the speed/vol adjust and XM features and such...so replacing that i don't think is in the cards (unless i found a good size that would fill the gap)

·
Registered
63 Posts
You are not crazy. Same here - I am not audiophile either, but I can tell you the 'upgraded' sound system in Outlook (Navi+RSE in my car) simply lacks.
Compared to the standard (base OEM) setup I have in my 2004 VW Passat for example - it is worse, noticeably worse. Outlook is supposed to have additional amplifier, subwoofer, but apparently the setup isn't calculated well - results overal are poor. Let's see what 2009 owners will report in future with their "BOSE upgraded system"..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has anyone replaced the front door speakers in the outlook - I am looking for the most cost effective means to upgrade the system.

Cheapest would be new front speakers (although i am figuring the issue is the source of the sound (stereo)).

Next cheapest looks like a cheaper 4 channel amp with line level inputs ~$130

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
You guys must have either defective systems or you don't have the advanced audio package.

Mine has the 9 speakers and a sub-woofer. I am a sound enthusiast and I love the sound in mine. Great bass and mid sound. I would not trade it for the Bose system. Enclave owners have complained about theirs (standard on the 08 models).

I listen to all music from classical to country and hip-hop to rock. The C-D and MP3 sound is great also. Some have had defective systems in the past and had them replaced - I think. If you don't have a good thumping bass sound it sounds like (no pun intended) you don't have a sub-woofer. It is located under the main console between the driver and passenger leg area.

·
Registered
63 Posts
No - I don't think the system is defective and I do have the 9 speaker enhanced system with subwoofer. I haven't compared to other Outlook(s) yet, but I compare to the base system in my other car. Outlook sounds OK. Not great, just OK. Sound just lacks richness (to me). Don't get me wrong. I didn't expect it to be something like this, but I think for the extra money they charge for the upgraded sound, they could have done better.

I have several test sound files (not mustic) but unfortunately forum doesn't allow me to upload them.

:cheers:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya i only have the Standard audio that comes with the XR.

I was playing around with the settings more last night and it seems like if i put the treble to like -2 or -3 and mid at 0 or -1 and bass all the way up it starts to give it a more hearty and warm sound. Maybe it is just that with the component speakers in front it really needs to have the high frequency toned down a bit, so the volume doesn't kill your ears before the speakers have enough power to have some low frequency sound.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also have the basic sound system on my the 07 Outlook, and it is crap.
However, when you plug in an IPOD, it sounds 100% better. I believe the amp & speakers are not the problem.
It is just a crappy radio. One wonders why would they use the same audio player as in the ION?

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
northstar said:
I also have the basic sound system on my the 07 Outlook, and it is crap.
However, when you plug in an IPOD, it sounds 100% better. I believe the amp & speakers are not the problem.
It is just a crappy radio. One wonders why would they use the same audio player as in the ION?
Cost, and to get you to upgrade to the advanced system.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to be using an ipod today no a trip, so hopefully that will sound nice.

Anyone upgraded their outlook sound system? (partial upgrade)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts